My rating: 4. 5 of 5 stars
Publication Date:July 31, 2016
Publisher: Little Brown UK
Point of View: Script
Genres & Themes: Young Adult, Fantasy, Fiction, Plays
Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.
It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.
While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.
There will always be something magical about reading a Harry Potter novel.
There’s something magical about reading a book in under five hours.
There’s something especially magical about Albus Potter and Scorpius Malfoy.
The thing is, if you really want to enjoy the hell out of this book, to leave your apprehension of this book destroying your childhood, is that you should think it as a canon fanfic. Don’t think of it as the eighth installment, don’t take look to deep into it. Because I get where all the misgivings are coming from, I get where the anger stems from, I get how Harry Potter could have been the greatest Defense Against the Dark Arts instructors Hogwarts deserves.
But this isn’t that books: the book where JK Rowling got everything right. This is the Cursed Child and it was magical, nonetheless.
This is my review (I mean, you already know, but a little insight) (Spoilers Alert):
- albus potter is a slytherin
- baby potter is a slytherin hell fck yeah life is made
- OKAy can someone tell this child that being a slytherin is never ever ever bad
- “on who we choose ti be friends with. My mum and dad met your dad of their first Hogwarts Express, you know…”
- albus chooses sweet honey locks cinnamon bon too pure for this world scorpius malfoy
- this is the start of an epic—i will follow you to the new of the world/ i would follow you to alternate worlds—friendship
- remember that very horrible we try to forget interview where rowling said that she should have put ron and hermoine together?
- yeah right
- they would love each other in every au
- “DOG DIGGITY, CEDRIC DIGGORY, YOU ARE A DOGGY DYNAMO!”
- so there’s a plot right, i mean of course there is but in this plot we have
- an escaped scene which brings out back to fred and george hijinks about TrYing to get off the Hogwarts express
- this time its nerd bbys albus + scorpius and they get the trolley witch turning into freaking guardian of the train and hurling explosive candies at them like whut
- hell yes
- Harry and Draco
- “keep up, old man” “WE’RE THE SAME AGE, DRACO”
- “i wear it better”
- we have the plot of harry trying to keep the boys apart. what happens?
- boring nerd bbys are DISTRAUGHT. “MY SON IS IN TEARS POTTER.”
- they’re kept apart, but love wins all the time.
- “You’re kind, Scorpius. To the depths of your belly, to the tips of your fingers.” what kind of romantic bullshit is this, WTF. how are they not canon
- scorpius liking rose.
- why can’t albus and scorpius be canon? they literally are codependent, like pls, romantic lvl 101
- scorpius saving the DAY bye
- neville is a butterfly THE BUTTERFLY
- “Quidditch. But I wasn’t good enough. Mainly I wanted to be happy.’-draco
- harry recognizing how dumbledore did some messed up shit yo
If I keep going I’ll be spoiling everything, by this point it isn’t even a review as much as list of dying moments for me. Read it. This is the greatest crackfic you could ever read that is in mainstream. There are amazing moments, and seriously Scorpius is my child and I will defend him against anyone. Albus and Scorpius are boring nerds who will definitely experiment later on and if someone wants to write my a fic where they end up together happily ever after you know where to find me. But there’s some messed up moments in Cursed Child. Some moments that people complain Harry would never do. Some parts where people will complain to the end of days, and I get it all. So read it and enjoy it, and if it makes you better to think of it as merely a play, as a fic play, then do so. I enjoyed it so much, that I’m already rereading it.
It’s quick, it’s fun. DO IT FOR THE BBYS.
Ps. people are mad that’s it’s a script when it blatantly had it in the cover. (what do people think plays are, how do people think plays/ movies are written?)